Monday, December 31, 2018

2019 Goals

I decided to publish this post just before the New Year comes in, so that my last thoughts of the 2018 will be of the goals for 2019. I know a lot of coaches and mentors teach that the goals we set for the year should be thought of and planned towards the end of the previous year; this way, we are ready to hit the ground running once the time comes for us to start acting on those plans.

I am the first to admit that I like spontaneity and I live my days based on the way I feel. If you are like me, you probably can't stick to a plan that covers every moment of your day. I started fighting schedules ever since elementary school, when my mom was trying to make sure my afternoons and evenings were all planned out.

With this said, I am an advocate of setting goals - the bigger the better. I am a strong believer in visualizing my goals and in thinking of them often. I also base my actions on my intuition, which has never let me down. I run the information through my mind over and over until ideas start forming, and then details come forth for those ideas. I also share with my closest friends and family those goals, and talk about them often.

Back in 2016 I read a book by Brian Moran who was talking about setting goals for 12 weeks instead of the entire year, as if that was a year. According to Moran, this will encourage us to stay focused on the goal; what happens with most goals that are annual is that many people lose their focus, on the one hand - others don't really do anything for a long time and then try to catch up in the last weeks or month. Neither scenario is a great one. I must confess that I'm still working with myself on following Moran's strategy. Sometimes I do it, and sometimes it is more of a challenge for me to keep up with it.

Since 2018, it is proving more appropriate for me to use the 12-week year method of Brian Moran. With the BRIL Conference in the first quarter and the last quarter being used to talk to possible sponsors for it, I only have to cover the 6 months in the middle. This is a lot less of a challenge than having to deal with 4 quarters, right? For the 6 months in the middle of the year my main goals are related to my financial services business, and it is important to me to achieve more during these months because the other 6 months I cannot stay as focused on this side of my business.

For those of you who run multiple businesses, it is a good idea to base your 12-week year plans on the cycles of your businesses. Some have cyclical tendencies, and these will dictate which goal to focus on for that specific 12 week period.

As I already mentioned, this first 12-week period of 2019 for me the main focus in my professional world is BRIL Conference. The plan is to promote the event through an email marketing campaign targeting both previous attendees and new prospects, as well as my business contacts who fit into our target market. On top of that we are also running social media campaigns to increase exposure and create a buzz in the Central Virginia area.

And here is the SMART goal for #BRIL2019: to double the number of people in the room from BRIL 2018. With this specific goal, besides the fact that it fits the SMART formula, it also fits within guidelines by Zig Ziglar - "If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there?" and "If you don't know where you are, you cannot find a direction to go into."

I would love to hear from some of my readers about their goals for 2019, and also hear about the progress on those goals. Please leave me a comment so we can connect. And, if you are not scared, feel free to share your SMART goals, so I can hold you accountable.

Happy 2019 to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment