Monday, June 4, 2018

Goal Achievement Month - Chapter 1

STEP 1Figure out what you want – beyond doubt (a.k.a. your WHY)
   
    When sharing my recipe for achieving goals, I want to start with the biggest goal that I set for myself and describe the way I managed to reach the goal. Of course, as they say “hindsight is 20/20”… so after reading many books on how to get things done, I realize that I had followed the steps without even being aware of them at the time.

When asked what my greatest achievement is, I always say that moving across the Atlantic and building a life for myself in a country where I only knew my husband. It may sound crazy, or scary, or too hard. Well, 15 years later, I am here to tell the story. I have achieved numerous goals since then but still feel this to be the greatest one, since it brought about the most radical change.

I was born in a small country in South-East Europe, Romania, in one of its largest cities. After finishing college and working for a couple of years, I moved to the United States to follow my husband. I was always an overachiever, I guess people would call me. Through my school years I was always at the top of the class and passed all my exams with flying colors. These seemed like reasonable things to do at the time, so I never really considered these major goals to be achieved. After a scholarship earned in college that sent me to England for 3 months, I realized there were things I wanted to achieve and a life style I wanted to live that were outside Romania.

The first step toward achieving my goal was setting it. And the very first thing to do in this case, was to get the idea – I found the one major thing I wanted to accomplish: moving to another country to build a career or a business. At the time this idea first came to mind I had no clue where, when or how I was going to do this. Looking back I understand that when you are young everything seems in a far distant future. And that was my first thought.

Once I came home from the college experience in England, I started sharing first with my parents, then with my friends, my intention to leave the country after college, at some point. The strange thing about sharing my goal was that once I started repeating it, I kept getting more certain of the outcome – still without knowing when, where or how. Because of my college experience, the first logical choice was England, or somewhere else in Western Europe. After all, there were a lot of Romanians living abroad in that area, including a few of my friends. My ultimate goal became moving to the United States later in life, after some years in another country or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment